This hypoallergenic multiple vitamin/mineral supplement is formulated for the special nutritional needs of children. It is also appropriate for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and those with similar metabolic imbalances related to inadequate dietary amounts of vitamin and minerals. Nutritional deficiencies are exceedingly common in ASD. Low levels of vitamin A, thiamine (B1), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), biotin, calcium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc have been reported in children on the autism spectrum compared to children without ASD.
Altered intestinal permeability, deficient enzyme activity, and hyperacidity of the intestinal lumen can all interfere with the absorption and transport of nutrients and contribute to the common vitamin and mineral deficiencies documented in children with ASD. Supplementation with vitamins and minerals is often used to help correct nutritional deficits common in ASD. The amounts as well as forms of each nutrient in this product have been selected to help ensure a high degree of nutrient bioavailability, excellent tolerance, and documented safety during long-term, daily use. Iron and copper, often contraindicated in ASD, are excluded and herbal ingredients are also avoided to provide maximum tolerance. This formula complies with Gluten-Free/Casein-Free (GFCF) diets.
Some of the key features of thisproduct include:
- Essential vitamins, minerals, and trace elements to help optimize nutrient status: The amounts and ratios of the 28 nutrients in this product can help complement dietary intake and ensure that daily micronutrient needs are met. To help address the special needs of children with ASD, this product offers higher potencies for certain nutrients, enhanced antioxidant protection, broader trace element nutrition, and augmented B-vitamin support compared to most other children’s multivitamins.
- Well-utilized nutrient forms: Nutrient “families” are used to provide a wider range of nutritional activity. For example, natural mixed carotenoids and vitamin E tocopherols are included to provide diverse antioxidant benefit. Concentrated citrus bioflavonoids are also added to help complement vitamin C activity.
- Biologically active forms of folate, B12, and B6: Children on the autism spectrum have been shown to have a variety of metabolic abnormalities that include impaired methylation and transsulfuration biochemistry. Significant amounts of active forms of folate (Metafolin®** L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate) and vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin and 5-adenosylcobalamin) are used as they are already fully “active” and ready for use by the body. Together these two vitamins can assist proper methylation and help maintain normal homocysteine metabolism. The active coenzyme form of vitamin B6 (known as P-5-P), is also included to support transsulfuration pathways.
- Bioavailable minerals and trace elements: Many common forms of minerals used in supplements are not efficiently absorbed. To address this concern, this product contains low molecular weight mineral compounds and other forms that are easily and comfortably digested.
- Hypoallergenic ingredients: This dietary supplement is free of common allergens: milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, corn, yeast, and soybeans. Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
This product is intended to provide a broad-spectrum of nutritionally supportive amounts of essential nutrients for daily use and health maintenance in children as well as those with ASD or other neurodevelopmental conditions.